It is very rewarding to make a perfect and gorgeous roasted chicken. You almost don’t want to cut into it because it looks so perfect! But when you do…yum!
I made a delicious rub by placing fennel seeds and red pepper flakes in a spice grinder. I grinded and then mixed with olive oil, salt, pepper and dried oregano. I rubbed the chicken thoroughly. Then I stuffed the insides of the chicken with garlic cloves and lemon wedges. I placed the chicken in the oven and cooked at 300 degrees for 3 hours, basting every half hour. And the result was beautiful!
I waited 10 minutes and then cut and enjoyed!
- 1 chicken, 3 1/2-4 pounds
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 6 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 TB dried thyme
- 1 TB salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3 TB olive oil
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Stuff the chicken with the lemon and garlic.
- Place fennel and red pepper flakes in a spice grinder. Grind slightly and then mix with the remainder of ingredients. Rub the chicken with the mixture.
- Place the chicken in the oven and cook for 3 hours, basting every 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let rest 10 minutes before carving.
- Feel free to add additional herbs to the rub!