Show of hands… who is over winter? I know I am and can’t wait for spring to finally roll in. But while we are still in winter why not make a big pot of tasty soup.
The recipe comes from the cookbook:
The recipe comes together pretty easily. First we need to make a stock. Place a chicken in a large pot and cover with water.
Bring to a boil then add a piece of ginger and a turnip, cover and then simmer for 2 hours.
Remove and discard the turnip and ginger. Remove the chicken and when cool enough to handle shred the meat. Place the meat back in the pot along with red curry paste, lime juice, fish sauce, galangal, mushrooms, shallots, lemongrass, red thai chiles and kaffir lime leaves. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to simmer and stir in coconut milk. Simmer for 30 minutes.
Then add jasmine rice, continue to simmer for another 15 minutes. Then serve topped with cilantro.
The flavors of this soup are so great! A nice to way to wrap up winter!
- 1 chicken, about 4 lbs
- 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled
- 1 turnip, halved
- 1 TB red curry paste
- juice of 2 limes
- 2 TB fish sauce
- 1 1/2 oz galangal, minced
- 7 oz crimini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 stalks of lemongrass, minced
- 2 red thai chiles, deseeded and minced
- 6 kaffir lime leaves, minced
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- Place chicken in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, add ginger and turnip, reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 2 hours.
- Remove and discard ginger and turnip. Remove chicken and when cool enough to handle shred the meat. Discard the skin and bones and place the meat back into the pot along with the curry paste, lime juice, fish sauce, galangal, mushrooms, shallots, lemongrass, chiles and lime leaves. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer and add coconut milk. Cook for 30 minutes and add the rice. Continue to simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and sever topped with cilantro.