I love potatoes. I could eat potatoes for every meal. There are so many things you can do with them. I would start listing idas off but I think it would start to sound like Bubba from Forest Gump. When I opened up my next cookbook on my shelf I was excited to see I’d be making potatoes!
The recipe for the potato cakes, or Spiced Potato Tikki, came from:
To start with I peeled and cubed potatoes. I placed them in a pot, covered with water and brought to boil. I cooked until the potatoes were very tender. I then mashed the potatoes.
As the potatoes cooked I placed ginger and a jalapeno pepper in my food processor with a pinch of salt.
I placed a large skillet over medium heat and added diced red onion and cumin seeds. I cooked for 6 minutes stirring occasionally.
I then added the ginger and pepper, salt, chili powder and garam masala to the skillet. I cooked a minute until fragrant.
I then added the mashed potatoes, flour, lemon juice and cilantro. The recipe also called for peas to be added but since I despise peas I left those out. I cooked a couple of minutes and then removed from the skillet.
Once cool enough to handle I made golf ball sized balls, flattened them and then dusted them in flour.
I heated some oil in the skillet and added the potato patties.
They cooked for 3 minutes, and I flipped and cooked another 3 minutes.
I ate my potato cakes topped with some mango chutney. But the options are endless of what you can top the cakes with – or don’t top them with anything at all – they are super tasty on their own!
- 1/2 pound of Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp salt plus one pinch, divided
- 1 TB all purpose flour plus extra for dredging, divided
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 TB cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup frozen peas, optional
- 1 TB vegetable oil
- Place potatoes in a small pot with enough water to cover. Bring to boil and cook until potatoes are very tender. Strain the potatoes and mash.
- As potatoes cook place ginger, jalapeno and pinch of salt in a food processor. Process until a paste is formed.
- Heat large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cumin seeds and cook stirring occasionally for 6 minutes. Add ginger and jalapeno paste, chili powder, garam masala and 1/2 tsp of salt to the skillet. Stir and cook a minute or two until fragrant. Add potatoes, 1 TB of flour, lemon juice, cilantro and peas if using to the skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally for 3 minutes. Remove potato mixer from the skillet. Taste and add addition salt to the mixture if needed.
- When cool enough to handle create 6 golf ball sized balls. Flatten the balls into patties and dust in flour. Heat vegetable oil in the skillet over medium high heat. Add the to the skillet and cook each side 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and enjoy alone or topped with chutney.
- Makes 6 potato cakes, easily double/triple recipe as needed.
- Get creative with topping for the cakes!