Winter is the worst. Right around now every year (mid-January) the frigid weather starts to feel like it’s dragging on and on. Cabin fever starts to set in. It gets dark out so early that leaving the house past 6 is a struggle. Warm comforting foods are all I want to eat. This next recipe, for a roasted vegetable soup, is the perfect winter meal.
The recipe comes from a cookbook which I bought about a year and really enjoy – I recommend it for anyone looking for a new cookbook!
To start the soup I roasted potatoes and cauliflower drizzled with olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper.
While the veggies roasted I made croutons by cubing bread then adding to sauté pan with oil, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper. I tossed occasionally until the croutons were nice a golden brown.
I heated a pot with olive oil and butter then cooked onion and garlic for a few minutes.
I added vegetable stock and my roasted veggies. I brought to a boil and let it cook for about 10 minute.
Then using my immersion blender I blended until all the veggies had turned into a puree.
I topped the soup with the croutons and chives and ate! The soup was perfect for the cold winter day!
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into large dice
- 1/2 head of cauliflower, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 TB of olive oil, divided
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 a baguette, cut into cubes
- 1 sprig rosemary, roughly chopped
- 4 sprigs thyme, roughly chopped
- 1/2 TB butter
- 1 cooking onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- chives, thinly sliced, for serving
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Toss potatoes and cauliflower with 1 TB of the oil, salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and roast for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat 1 TB of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add cubed bread, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper. Toss occasionally and cook until toasted on all sides, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 TB of oil and butter in a medium pot over medium heat. Once butter is melted add onions and sauté until soft, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook an additional minute. Add stock and roasted vegetables. Increase to heat to bring to a boil then cook 10 minutes. Remove from heat and use an immersion blender to blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Served topped with the croutons and chives