I am recently re-discovering pork chops. I never really cared for them growing up. But now as an adult I am finding them tastier than I remember them ever being. So I decided to try out stuffing a pork chop with gremolata – a parsley and lemon condiment. The results were VERY tasty!
To start with I made the gremolata. In my food processor I combined garlic, kosher salt, parsley, olive oil, lemon zest and juice and a chili pepper.
I then took thick pork chops (between 1 inch to 1 1/2 inches thick) and used a small knife to cut a pocket into the side opposite the bone.
Into each pocket I stuffed 1 TB of the gremolata.
I then seasoned the outside of the chops and rubbed with 1 more TB of the gremolata. I covered and refrigerated a few hours.
When I was ready to eat I preheated my oven to 400 degrees F. I heated my cast iron skillet over high heat. I have to say I LOVE my cast iron skillet. If you are in need of one I highly recommend my Lodge cast iron skillet. You can grab one here:
Placed my pork onto the skillet and let each side cook for several minutes getting nice and browned.
Then I placed my skillet in the oven for 10 minutes.
I let my pork chops rest 10 minutes before serving.
We ate the pork chops with green beans and salad. It was a very tasty dinner!!
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- zest from 1 lemon, juice from half the lemon
- pinch of chili flakes
- 2 pork chops, 1-1 1/2 inches thick each
- salt and pepper
- To make the gremolata place garlic, salt, parsley, oil, lemon zest, lemon juice and chili flakes in a food processor. Process keeping the consistency a bit chunky.
- Take a small knife and place into the side of the pork chop opposite the bone. Turn the knife cutting to create a pocket, careful not to cut through any other side. Repeat with the other chop.
- Insert 1 TB of the gremolata into each chop. Season the outside of the pork chops with salt and pepper and then rub an addition TB of gremolata to the outside. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour or up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Heat a large cast iron skillet over high heat. Place the pork chops on the skillet and cook several minutes until nice browned. Flip to brown the other side. Place the skillet in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let pork chops rest 10 minutes before serving.
- You will end up with extra gremolata. Try it on vegetables!