I love pasta! But I am really not into tomatoes, so I am always on the quest to come up with new pasta sauces which do not include tomatoes in the sauce. The other night I created a delicious sauce updating a typical aglio e olio (garlic and olive oil) to include some baby kale.
For my pasta I made some truffle ravioli which were delish, but feel free to use your favorite type of pasta.
The sauce itself comes together rather quickly. As the pasta cooks the sauce is started and then once the pasta is finished it’s tossed in the sauce and kale is added. Super simple – great weeknight dinner!
- 1/2 lb dried pasta
- 2 TB olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 oz baby kale, sliced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- chopped cooked bacon, optional for topping
- Start a pot of salted water to boil for pasta. Once boiling add pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the pasta water.
- Meanwhile when pasta is a couple of minutes from being done heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Once hot add garlic and cook until fragrant. Season with salt and pepper and add drained pasta. Add kale and toss. Add red pepper flakes, toss and cook for a couple of minutes until kale is wilted.
- Serve topped with bacon pieces