As the weather is turning colder I find myself wanting to use my grill a few more times before it requires putting on boots and a coat to do some grilling. I picked up some salmon, which happened to be on sale and put together a delicious dinner!
While this meal may look complex it actually comes together quite easily!
I made a pesto by placing baby kale, garlic, nori, toasted pepitas, water, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in my food processor. I processed until smooth.
Then I cubed my salmon and made thin long strips of zucchini on my mandolin. I threaded the zucchini and salmon on skewers.
I brushed the skewers with the pesto. Then I grilled the skewers for 8 minutes total, rotating every 2 minutes.
Meanwhile I heated some water to boil and poured the water into a bowl of dried couscous. I covered the bowl with plastic wrap and let it stand for 10 minutes. Then I fluffed with a fork and mixed in pesto, green onions and roughly chopped pepitas.
I served the skewers on a small bed of baby kale with the couscous. It made for one great tasting dinner!
- 2 oz baby kale, divided
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 sheet of nori, torn
- 2 1/2 TB pepitas, toasted
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1 TB lemon juice
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup couscous
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 3/4 lb skinless salmon fillet, cut into large cubes
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise on a mandolin
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 TB pepitas, roughly chopped
- Using a food processor combine all but 2 small handfuls of kale, the garlic, nori, toasted pepitas, the 1/4 cup of water, oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat grill to high heat. Pour boiling water of couscous. Cover with plastic wrap and let it stand for 10 minutes. Stir in green onions, chopped pepitas and enough pesto to coat the couscous.
- Meanwhile thread zucchini and salmon onto skewers. Brush the skewers with pesto. Grill the skewers for 8 minutes total, rotating every 2 minutes.
- Divide the couscous and remaining kale evenly over 2 plates. Top each plate with the skewers.
- Serves 2