I really like it when I can showcase local ingredients and support local small businesses in my cooking. Southwestern Ontario has a lot to offer when it comes to local ingredients. A few blocks from my house is Robbie’s Gourmet Sausage Co. in Walkerville, a national award winning sausage company which makes creative and innovative sausages with the highest quality ingredients.
The appetizer I created is a modern take on the Italian classic “Sausage and Peppers”. First you need some Robbie’s Sausage. Try to find something Italian-esque! The reason I like using Robbie’s sausage is because they are very lean and they hold together well and don’t have a lot of grease that oozes out, which is key making this appetizer not be a mess to eat!
I grilled the sausages…fyi I found out I can fit 25 sausages on my grill!
Let them cool…And then cut them on the bias, which means on an angle to create an elongated, oval-shaped piece.
I also make up a batch of my mustard vinaigrette, which you can grab the recipe from this post.
And I lightly pan fry some thinly sliced shallots in a bit of oil. Once they have lightly browned I remove the shallots and add some thinly sliced calabrese to the pan. I let the calabrese cook for a few minutes before removing.
Next I cut a red bell pepper into triangle shaped pieces, just larger than my sliced sausage.
I top the triangles with a piece of sausage and pop them in the oven to warm through.
I top each with a few drops of the vinaigrette, and a tiny bit of the shallots and calabrese and serve!
Why I love this recipe: It’s such a fun take on sausage and peppers and creates a really cute party appetizer – easy to eat and very tasty! And as I said at the beginning of this post I love it when I can support local businesses! Be sure to check out Robbie’s Gourmet Sausage Co.!
- 4 links of Robbie's Gourmet Sausage - any sort of Italian variety
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 slices of calabrese, cut into thin strips 1 inch long
- 1 recipe for mustard vinaigrette, see link above
- Grill sausages turning occasionally until cooked through. Remove from grill and let cool.
- Meanwhile preheat oven to 350 F. Take bell peppers and cut into triangular pieces large enough to hold a slice of sausage.
- Heat up a frying pan over medium and lightly pan fry the shallot and calabrese, stirring occasionally until shallot begins to brown. Remove from heat.
- Slice the sausages on the bias making long oval pieces. Place a slice of sausage on a red pepper triangle, add a few drops of vinaigrette and a pinch of the fried shallots and calabrese. Repeat with the rest of the sausage. Place the sausage pepper bites in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve.