I couldn’t help but share this next recipe with all of you, mainly because of its perfect Valentine’s Day color!!
The recipe came from another Thug Kitchen Cookbook:
The recipe was for Roasted Beet Hummus.
First I needed to roast some beets. I heated my oven and took beets, washed them, dried them and wrapped them together in foil.
I placed in my oven until tender when pricked with a fork. I let them cool slightly and then peeled and roughly chopped them. If you have gloves where them – otherwise you get hot pink hands! I placed the chopped beets in my food processor with chickpeas, garlic, sesame seed paste, olive oil, lemon juice, orange juice and salt.
I blended until smooth.
Then I ate the hummus with pita bread.
Doesn’t it make a nice Valentine?
How did it taste? Well I don’t like beets, I think they taste like dirt. But oddly I didn’t really detect that dirt taste in the hummus. It had a nice overall flavor, nice balance. This would be a nice easy appetizer to bring to a party, hmm – maybe that’s why it’s in the Party Thug Kitchen Cookbook.
- ¾ LB of trimmed beets (meaning leaves and stalks removed), washed and dried
- ¾ cup chickpeas
- 1 clove garlic, or more to taste
- 1 TB sesame seed paste or tahini
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1 TB lemon juice
- 1 TB orange juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- Wrap beets together in aluminum foil. Place on a baking sheet and roast for 30-45 minutes (depending on size of beets) until tender when pricked with a fork.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Then remove skins and roughly chop.
- Place beets and remainder of the ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Serve with veggies and/or pita bread.
- yields enough to bring as an appetizer to a party!