I have tried to get into the habit this winter of making a soup over the weekend and then bringing the soup into work for lunches during the week. I try to make different soups week to week to keep myself from getting bored. Most of the time I use either my chicken or veggie stock as a base, you can find my recipes for those here. This time I used shrimp shells to make a stock.
I modified a recipe I found on Real Simple’s website to make this shrimp soup with dill.
First I peeled shrimp shells, reserving the bodies. I placed the shells in a pot of water and brought to a boil. When it reached a boil I removed the pot from heat and let it stand for 20 minutes, then I strained the shells from the liquid and stirred bottled clam juice into the shrimp stock.
Meanwhile I heated olive oil in a large pot. I added chopped onion, salt and pepper and let the onion cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
I added the reserved shrimp clam stock, covered the pot and brought it to a boil. Once boiling I removed the lid and stirred in rotini pasta.
The pasta cooked until it was tender, 10-12 minutes. Then I added the reserved shrimp, which I had chopped, and let the soup cook another 2 minutes.
I removed the soup from heat and stirred in dill.
How did it taste: This made a really nice soup. The flavor wasn’t overpowering fishy, it was light, which really allowed the dill flavor to be elevated. I really enjoyed this one, it was a nice break from the typically chicken or veggie stocks I make. This is a great for any shrimp lovers out there!
- ½ pound medium shell on shrimp
- ¾ cup bottled clam juice
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1 cooking onion, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 cup rotini pasta
- 3 TB dill, chopped
- Peel the shrimp. Roughly chop the bodies and set aside. Place the shells in a pot with 6 cups of water. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Let the shrimp shells stand in the water for 20 minutes.
- Strain the shells from the liquid (reserving the liquid). Mix the shrimp stock with bottled clam juice.
- Meanwhile heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, salt and pepper and let it cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Add the shrimp and clam broth, cover and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling remove lid and add pasta. Cook pasta until tender, 10-12 minutes. Then add reserved chopped shrimp and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in dill and serve.
- serves 4