I hope all my readers did go ahead and make stocks this last weekend, read my previous post about stock making here, because now that I/we have stock it’s time to use it! Stocks don’t just need to be for soups, I made a pretty tasty risotto a few weeks back with stock here…which is so tasty it’s on my meal planning for this week too! So here’s another idea of for using up stock which isn’t necessarily a soup….
The recipe comes from a cookbook written by Canadian Chef Michael Smith:
The recipe tagged was for Mushroom Miso Broth with Buckwheat Noodles. I have to say when I first looked at this recipe I thought it would be a soup, it actually is more a noddle dish with a small amount of thick broth.
To start with I heated chicken stock to simmer.
I then added grated ginger and sliced shiitake mushrooms. A tip for grating ginger, keep a small baggy in your freezer with peeled ginger in it. When you need grated ginger take that frozen piece and use a microplaner, like the one below, and rub the frozen ginger piece on it. You have grated ginger!
Anyway I let the mushrooms and ginger simmer in the stock for 10 minutes.
Then I added soba noodles. Soba noodles are a Japanese noodle made from buckwheat flour. They have a bit of a nutty flavor to them and they are gluten free! I let the soba noodles cook for 5 minutes.
I then whisked in miso paste. Miso paste is made from fermented soy beans.
Once the paste was dissolved I stirred in sriracha sauce, shredded nori (dried seaweed…think that black wrapping around sushi) and green onions.
I let that cook for another 2 minutes and then divided among bowls.
And it tasted: Rich, salty and delicious. This meal was more filling than I expected, and also a lot more complex in flavor than I was expecting. And if you wanted to make this dish be vegan or vegetarian you could easily do that by using vegetable stock instead of chicken stock! Winning dish!
- 4 cups of chicken stock
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 2 cups shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 8 oz soba noodles
- 4 TB miso paste
- ½ tsp sriracha sauce, or more to taste
- 1 sheet of nori, shredded using scissors
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- In a medium pot bring chicken stock to simmer over medium heat. Once simmering reduce heat to keep at a simmer.
- Add ginger and mushrooms to the stock. Cook for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add noodles to the pot. Cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Whisk in miso paste into the pot. Then add sriracha, nori and green onions. Stir and cook for 2 additional minutes.
- To serve divvy up noodles over 4 bowls. Then place a ladle of 2 of broth over each bowl of noodles.