Being sad that the weather is turning cold 🙁 (our pool was just closed yesterday – I was really hoping summer would rally!) I was craving something “summer-y” yet warming. Lettuce wraps seemed like the perfect dinner to satisfy both of my cravings.
The recipe comes from a gluten free cookbook.
To start I heated olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. I then added ground chicken, ground pork, ginger and shallots. I let that cook stirring occasionally while breaking up the meat for 12 minutes.
I then added more shallots, shiitake mushrooms, waterchestnuts, and chili flakes. I gave that a stir and added…
Tamari (which is a gluten free soy sauce) and Hoisin. Something to note is the recipe called for a gluten free hoisin so if you are gluten free and making this one be sure to make sure the hoisin sauce you buy is gluten free. I gave that a stir and let it cook for 2 minutes.
Then I removed from the heat and I stirred in mint leaves.
I served with boston lettuce leaves, placing a spoonful or 2 of the meat mixture into each lettuce cup.
So, did it satisfy my craving? Yes! The lettuce wraps were super tasty. The mixture of the ground chicken and ground pork was really nice for the overall flavor. And this dish came together fast (within 15 minutes) when I started cooking it. I thinks in addition to the mint some scallions would have been nice stirred in at the end, so the recipe below includes scallions. The only negative to this one is there was a considerable amount of prep, I had to finely dice quite a bit of things. But overall I would say the lettuce wraps were worth the prep!
- 2 TB olive oil
- ½ lb lean ground chicken
- ½ lb lean ground pork
- 2 TB ginger, finely diced
- 4 french shallots, finely diced, divided
- 6 shiitake mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 small can of waterchestnuts (around 5 oz), finely diced
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- 3 TB tamari or soy sauce
- 2 TB hoisin sauce
- ½ cup mint leaves, chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 head boston lettuce, leaves removed and cleaned
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add ground chicken, ground pork, ginger and half of the shallots. Cook stirring occasionally, breaking up the meat for around 12 minutes or when the meat is cooked through.
- Stir in the remainder of the shallots, mushrooms, waterchestnuts, chili flakes, tamari and hoisin sauce. Let that cook, stirring occasionally for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in mint and scallions. To eat place a spoonful or 2 into a lettuce leaf.
- Serves 2 for a main course or 4 for an appetizer