Summer is my favorite season. Mostly because I REALLY don’t like winter. I hate the cold, I hate the long dark days. Summer is so much cheerier and fun. Especially having a yard with a pool makes summertime that much more enjoyable. So with summer this year wrapping up I decided to make a very summery salad.
The recipe comes from The Feed Zone, a cookbook with recipes specifically for athletes.
To start with I chopped up apple, red pepper, cucumber and parsley and mixed in a large bowl.
I set the oven to broil and took ciabatta bread and brushed one side with olive oil. The placed the bread into the oven to for a couple of minutes to toast.
I mixed a dressing of olive oil, red wine vinegar, brown sugar and minced jalapeno.
Then I poured the dressing into the large bowl and mixed. Once combined I topped the salad onto the toasted bread and I ate a taste of summer.
The Verdict: So nice and easy yet so light and delicious. I ate the salad for lunch but it would also make an equally good appetizer. It is a bit unexpected but all the flavors work together deliciously. The salad had a touch of sweetness to it which balanced nicely.
- 1 large apple, cored and cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into bite size pieces
- 1/3 cucumber, cut into bite size pieces
- 1/8 cup parsley, chopped
- ciabatta bread loaf, cut in half lengthwise, then each half cut into 3-4 pieces
- 1 TB olive oil, plus more for brushing on bread
- 1 TB red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 jalapeno, minced
- crumbled goat cheese, optional
- Preheat oven to broil.
- In a large bowl mix the apple, red pepper, cucumber and parsley.
- Brush ciabatta with olive oil and place in the broiler for 2 minutes. Remove and place on a plate.
- Mix olive oil, vinegar, brown sugar and jalapeno in a small boll. Then pour dressing onto the apple mixture and stir to combine. Place apple salad onto the pieces of bread and press down slightly into the bread. Sprinkle with goat cheese if using and serve.